AVAILABLE NOW ON AMAZON
“As its poems tread through forests, over mountains, and along the water . . . Measures captivates.” — Clarion Reviews
“[B. L. Bruce’s] newest poetry collection, Measures, by turns elicits tenderness and melancholy, hopefulness and heartbreak—which is to say, the gamut of the human condition. . . . Bruce’s collection offers many accomplished and memorable moments.” — BlueInk Review
In Measures, B. L. Bruce’s third collection of poetry, the author deftly explores the visual measures of time and the nature of change in her celebrated, nuanced verse.
In this latest collection featuring nearly sixty new poems—including works in new formats like micropoetry and American haiku—award-winning poet B. L. Bruce again echoes the lyricism and rich imagery that readers have come to praise.
THE STARLING’S SONG
PACIFIC RIM BOOK FESTIVAL HONORABLE MENTION
“There is nothing to say that would be as lyrical and eloquent as this poet’s language. She writes as a daughter of California’s wild places. Words lift the edge of ordinary and invite the reader to journey through vivid and vulnerable landscapes.” – Karen K. Lewis, Author and Executive Director at Mendocino Coast Writer’s Conference
The Starling’s Song was written entirely during a four-week-long stay in a rustic cabin in the remote forests of Northern California, where this unique backdrop guided much of her work in this collection.
28 DAYS OF SOLITUDE: A Memoir
Written during her twenty-eight-day stay in a small cabin in the remote mountain forests of Northern California, author B. L. Bruce chronicles the daily life of a writer at work. In the wake of her award-winning poetry collection, The Weight of Snow, 28 Days of Solitude moves the focus away from the creative work and toward the often-overlooked creator.
Offering insights into her personal thoughts of the craft and its importance in her life before and during her residency, Bruce’s memoir aims to give readers a glimpse into the psyche of a writer.
THE WEIGHT OF SNOW
2014 International Book Awards Finalist
2014 San Francisco Book Festival Honorable Mention
2014 USA Best Book Awards “Poetry” Category Finalist
“The poems in The Weight of Snow are heartfelt, skillfully written, and keenly observed fragments of the natural world and our lives there. Bravo.” – Gary Young, Poet Laureate of Santa Cruz County, Award-Winning Author of No Other Life, Braver Deeds, and Pleasure
In The Weight of Snow, author B. L. Bruce explores the many plights of the human species, from the mysteries of the heart and the inescapability of death, to the depths of human emotion. Told from the perspective of a poetic naturalist, Bruce shares her appreciation of the wild, illuminating the profound in the mundane while chronicling the natural world as both an observer and as an irrefutable part of it. Her poems focus strongly on image and locality, conjuring the imaginations of readers and celebrating the beauty in the follies of the human condition and its capacity to grip the soul.
– Poem “Cachagua Road” published in Feral‘s “Love Issue
-Poem “Dark Star” published by Emerge Literary Journal
-Poem “Ration” published by Blood Moon Journal
– Poems “North,” “Enterprise,” and “Mockingbird” published in Visitant (November 2020)
– Poems “Full Moon at Albion River” and “Vermont” published in Le Merle Poetry Journal (November 2020)
– Poems “Miracle” and “When I Die” published in The Remnant Archive (September 2020)
– Haiku Poem “Ice carved valley/sun-shimmer/of granite” published in the American Haiku Society’s Frogpond Journal 2020
– Poem “Dark Star” published in November 2020 issue of Emerge Literary Journal
– Two photographs (“White Duck” and “Row of Trees”) published in Issue 2 of Near Window
– Poems “Miracle” and “When I Die” published in the Autumn 2020 issue of The Remnant Archive
– Poem “Tempest” published by Canary Literary Magazine, December 2017
– The Starling’s Song published April 2016, Black Swift Press
– Poem “At Henry Cowell State Park, Early Winter” published in “GriefINK: Tattoo as the Language of Grief” by Susan Salluce (Dec. 2015)
– The Weight of Snow: New & Selected Poems (Tayen Lane Publishing/Smooth Stones Press, 2015) Hardcover Edition
– Poem “Salt” published in Common Ground Review’s 2015 issue 1
– 28 Days of Solitude (August 2015), Black Swift Press
– Poem “Feel” published in Purple Passion Press’s spring 2015 anthology
– Poems “Forebearance” and “Pulse” published in the January 15th issue (Issue 30) of Damselfly Press (2015)
– Poems “Rainsong” and “Hailstorn” published in PushPen Press‘s anthology, Three (2014)
– Poem “Eggs for Dumplings” published in inaugural issue of Los Gatos This Week (October 2014)
– The Weight of Snow: New & Selected Poems (February 2014), Black Swift Press
– Poems “Clay,” “What Remains,” “Memory,” “Narrowed,” “Ghost,” “Between the Hours,” and “The Unlearning of Fear” included in Tayen Lane Publishing’s Poems from Conflicted Hearts: An Anthology (March 2014) alongside Poet Laureate Alice Shapiro
– Poetry published in Celebrate! Young Poets Speak Out (2003), Chinquapin Magazine (2009), Tattoo Highway (2011), Red Fez Entertainment (2011), The Avocet Review (2012), Northwind Magazine (2012), The Cossack (2012), phren-Z Magazine (2012), The Soundings Review (2013), Third Wednesday (2013), The Wayfarer Journal / Homebound Publications (2013), 2River View (2013), and
– Photo essay published in Atom Magazine (2012)
– Surfrider Foundation, Santa Cruz Chapter newsletter, Ocean’s Roar (2010)
– Photographs published in Matchbox Magazine (2011), Ampersand Magazine (2011), and The Mountain Network News (2012), and The Sun Magazine (2013)